Definition of empty:
- An empty box, crate, cask, etc.; - used in commerce, esp. in transportation of freight; as, special rates for empties.
- Containing nothing; not holding or having anything within; void of contents or appropriate contents; not filled; - said of an inclosure, as a box, room, house, etc.; as, an empty chest, room, purse, or pitcher; an empty stomach; empty shackles.
- Destitute of effect, sincerity, or sense; - said of language; as, empty words, or threats.
- Destitute of reality, or real existence; unsubstantial; as, empty dreams.
- Destitute of, or lacking, sense, knowledge, or courtesy; as, empty brains; an empty coxcomb.
- Free; clear; devoid; - often with of.
- Having nothing to carry; unburdened.
- Producing nothing; unfruitful; - said of a plant or tree; as, an empty vine.
- To become empty.
- To deprive of the contents; to exhaust; to make void or destitute; to make vacant; to pour out; to discharge; as, to empty a vessel; to empty a well or a cistern.
- To discharge itself; as, a river empties into the ocean.
- Unable to satisfy; unsatisfactory; hollow; vain; - said of pleasure, the world, etc.
muster out, unload, give up, empty-headed, devoid of, clear, expel, avoid, desolate, white, innocent of, drop, meaningless, hollow, assoil, pillaged, asinine, forsake, deserted, blank, filled, eject, mindless, go off, exhausted, looted, barren of, fire, overturn, repeal, drained, evacuate, abandon, negative, glassy, clean, exonerate, stripped, fruitless, desert, inane, unfrequented, vacant, bare, renounce, empty of, bereft of, deprived of, untenanted, insincere, glazed, uninhabited, drop off, full, fatuous, vitiate, emptied, revoke, vacuous, lifeless, unfilled, stark, reverse, empty-handed, depleted, set down, unemployed, discharge, rescind, resign, vain, abandoned, dispatch, destitute of, ransacked, idle, leisure, release, exculpate, empty-bellied, hungry, false, invalidate, waste, quash, unoccupied, free, void, annul, otiose, futile, void of, complete, acquit, destitute, put down, countermand, plundered, innocent, vacate, lift, open.
- nonexistent (part of speech: adjective)
- enervate (part of speech: verb)
- unsubstantial (part of speech: adjective)
- unsubstantiate (part of speech: verb)
- dry (part of speech: verb)
- leave (part of speech: verb)
- absent (part of speech: adjective)