Definition of encounter:
- A meeting face to face; a running against; a sudden or incidental meeting; an interview.
- A meeting, with hostile purpose; hence, a combat; a battle; as, a bloody encounter.
- To come against face to face; to meet; to confront, either by chance, suddenly, or deliberately; especially, to meet in opposition or with hostile intent; to engage in conflict with; to oppose; to struggle with; as, to encounter a friend in traveling; two armies encounter each other; to encounter obstacles or difficulties, to encounter strong evidence of a truth.
- To meet face to face; to have a meeting; to meet, esp. as enemies; to engage in combat; to fight; as, three armies encountered at Waterloo.
adopt, copse, dally, thicket, coppice, look, project, acquire, regard, gamble, assume, chance on, satisfy, hazard, strike, break, act, come up, interpret, get wind, assault, rule, match, light upon, fulfill, recover, appointment, see, beleaguer, dislodge, fit, crash, discover, undertake, happen upon, wager, forgather, catch, bechance, find, pass, ran into, notice, rendezvous, fill, get together, run into, materialise, view, touch, cope with, take, pass off, hear, adventure, go steady, envision, go on, battle, find oneself, face-off, happen, feel, foregather, work, get word, obtain, assail, besiege, occur, combat, showdown, attack, clash, clangour, go out, ascertain, clangoring, visualise, date, take over, insure, demote, watch, pick up, light touch, take care, represent, accost, conform to, wreak, front, make for, beset, knock against, determine, admit, converge, brush, diddle, spiel, clank, take chances, image, knock, bump, adjoin, collision, accept, storm, engage, observe, run across, invite, brushwood, fight, have, playact, relegate, roleplay, suffer, assure, run, confrontation, hap, come over, receive, resonate, witness, get a line, charge, visualize, come across, bet, get, meet, trifle, bring, skirmish, fulfil, retrieve, contact, fall out, play, detect, merging, materialize, coming upon, visit, check, figure, come upon, recreate, consider, tackle, attain, attend, realise, ensure, impinge on, act as, take on, construe, see to it, chance upon, take a chance, fancy, meeting, learn, take place, control, brushing, chance, regain, experience, picture, risk, befall, fiddle, examine, flirt, get hold, coming together, group meeting, take in, escort, understand, realize, come about, collide with, clangor, find out, line up, run a risk, fall upon, clang, butt against, toy, set upon, incur, hit, go through, confluence, kick downstairs, jar against, reckon, invade.
- confrontation (part of speech: noun)
- confront (part of speech: verb)
- contend (part of speech: verb)
- contention (part of speech: noun)
- meet (part of speech: verb)
- "Popular Adventure Tales", Mayne Reid.
- "Springhaven A Tale of the Great War", R. D. Blackmore.