Definition of encouragement :
1. That which serves to incite, support, promote, or advance, as favor, countenance, reward, etc.; incentive; increase of confidence; as, the fine arts find little encouragement among a rude people.
2. The act of encouraging; incitement to action or to practice; as, the encouragement of youth in generosity.
cheer, inspiration, confidence, cheering, consolation, fillip, optimism, impetus, stimulant, stimulation, hope, animation, stimulus, helping, animating, supporting, cause, incentive, lift, promotion, reward, push, abetment, firmness, comfort, advance, trust, rise, cost increase, hike, fortitude, boost, stimulator, prod, spur, inducement, urging, faith, backing, impulse, heartening
advice (part of speech: noun)
direction, advice, hint, pointer, news, monition, caution, message, prompt, briefing, advocacy, guidance, suggestion, cue, tip, instruction, recommendation, warning, caveat, clue, information, intelligence
aid (part of speech: noun)
- Tom sat silent while he listened to all this encouragement, turning his face from one speaker to the other. - "Ayala's Angel", Anthony Trollope.
- Yet I could see, as I caught his eye, I know not what of encouragement. - "Who Goes There?", Blackwood Ketcham Benson.
- If ever a man needed kindness and encouragement it was he; but his sensitive spirit instantly discovered that all was changed. - "The Redemption of David Corson", Charles Frederic Goss.