Definition of encouragement:
- That which serves to incite, support, promote, or advance, as favor, countenance, reward, etc.; incentive; increase of confidence; as, the fine arts find little encouragement among a rude people.
- The act of encouraging; incitement to action or to practice; as, the encouragement of youth in generosity.
cheer, inspiration, confidence, cheering, consolation, fillip, optimism, impetus, stimulant, stimulation, hope, animation, stimulus, helping, animating, supporting, cause, incentive, lift, promotion, reward, push, abetment, firmness, comfort, advance, trust, rise, cost increase, hike, fortitude, boost, stimulator, prod, spur, inducement, urging, faith, backing, impulse, heartening.
- advice (part of speech: noun)
- aid (part of speech: noun)
- "Ayala's Angel", Anthony Trollope.
- "Who Goes There?", Blackwood Ketcham Benson.
- "The Redemption of David Corson", Charles Frederic Goss.