Definition of engage:
- To be in gear, as two cogwheels working together.
- To come into gear with; as, the teeth of one cogwheel engage those of another, or one part of a clutch engages the other part.
- To embark in a business; to take a part; to employ or involve one's self; to devote attention and effort; to enlist; as, to engage in controversy.
- To employ the attention and efforts of; to occupy; to engross; to draw on.
- To enter into conflict; to join battle; as, the armies engaged in a general battle.
- To enter into contest with; to encounter; to bring to conflict.
- To gain for service; to bring in as associate or aid; to enlist; as, to engage friends to aid in a cause; to engage men for service.
- To gain over; to win and attach; to attract and hold; to draw.
- To promise or pledge one's self; to enter into an obligation; to become bound; to warrant.
- To put under pledge; to pledge; to place under obligations to do or forbear doing something, as by a pledge, oath, or promise; to bind by contract or promise.
soak up, lock in, go after, intrigue, imbibe, shut away, quest after, contain, interest, compel, involve, beleaguered, consider, retain, muster in, assimilate, bombed-out, engulf, utilise, connect, manoeuver, postulate, quest for, rent, occupy, charter, pack, capture someone's interest/imagination/attention, steep, take aim, oblige, interlace, carry, reside, necessitate, manoeuvre, have, lay on, remove, flash, act on, busy, monopolize, mortgage, draft, betroth, fire someone with enthusiasm, hire, hold, get hold of, tie up, take up, operate, invade, go, ask, plunge, use, ingest, bespeak, take in, excite, lodge in, convey, deal, learn, mesh, affiance, make, operate on, require, active service, assault, preempt, use up, prosecute, tie, draw in, meet, pay, fascinate, demand, attract, bind, submit, dazzle, action, acquire, take over, eject, select, choose, take away, fetter, call for, crank, grip, pursue, black out, enmesh, work, train, admit, function, enwrap, attack, need, air cover, energize, shut up, battle cry, place, promise, confirm, exact, sop up, secure, restrain, recruit, inspire, study, subscribe, catch up, consume, lock away, worry, draw, take on, engross, lead, pick out, appoint, aggressor, fee, join, fix, read, concern, shoot, assume, lock up, look at, actuate, restrict, claim, shackle, sign, take, participate, direct, ensnarl, active duty, belligerent, flick, film, get, pledge, carry on, wage, captivate, guide, put away, bewitch, control, follow, fasten, interlock, subscribe to, lease, run, bring, face, adopt, obligation, absorb, book, fill, partake, utilize, suck, reserve, lock, activate, sign on, apply, enthuse, withdraw, agree, accept, strike, motivate, plight, conduct, troth, blackout, enthrall, bemuse, used, immerse, let, suck up, indulge, encounter, coax, follow up on, enlist.
- battle (part of speech: verb)
- hire (part of speech: verb)
- endeavor (part of speech: verb)
- "Second Shetland Truck System Report", William Guthrie.
- "Some Jewish Witnesses For Christ", Rev. A. Bernstein, B.D..
- "The Ordinance of Covenanting", John Cunningham.