Definition of engage :
1. To be in gear, as two cogwheels working together.
2. To come into gear with; as, the teeth of one cogwheel engage those of another, or one part of a clutch engages the other part.
3. To embark in a business; to take a part; to employ or involve one's self; to devote attention and effort; to enlist; as, to engage in controversy.
4. To employ the attention and efforts of; to occupy; to engross; to draw on.
5. To enter into conflict; to join battle; as, the armies engaged in a general battle.
6. To enter into contest with; to encounter; to bring to conflict.
7. To gain for service; to bring in as associate or aid; to enlist; as, to engage friends to aid in a cause; to engage men for service.
8. To gain over; to win and attach; to attract and hold; to draw.
9. To promise or pledge one's self; to enter into an obligation; to become bound; to warrant.
10. To put under pledge; to pledge; to place under obligations to do or forbear doing something, as by a pledge, oath, or promise; to bind by contract or promise.
admit, plunge, remove, convey, bespeak, manoeuver, mortgage, consider, train, indulge, make, adopt, assume, utilize, reserve, ensnarl, engulf, sign, take aim, shackle, require, take, carry on, connect, air cover, join, pledge, lock, subscribe, wage, black out, go, quest for, act on, go after, take in, learn, shut away, confirm, appoint, look at, affiance, soak up, muster in, charter, lock in, imbibe, ask, manoeuvre, choose, energize, ingest, occupy, conduct, catch up, involve, take up, reside, fascinate, blackout, inspire, hold, mesh, action, run, lock up, used, steep, put away, acquire, guide, get, plight, tie up, preempt, enlist, lay on, draw in, function, capture someone's interest/imagination/attention, aggressor, engross, fasten, bemuse, exact, take over, worry, flick, necessitate, enwrap, motivate, quest after, partake, excite, fire someone with enthusiasm, invade, fee, need, shoot, accept, operate on, draw, read, bombed-out, work, fill, have, tie, eject, crank, use up, fetter, sop up, film, follow, secure, coax, activate, restrict, interlace, prosecute, direct, let, operate, monopolize, shut up, pay, actuate, submit, attack, call for, dazzle, withdraw, intrigue, beleaguered, captivate, pursue, troth, assault, interest, enmesh, assimilate, fix, attract, meet, lead, draft, control, suck up, strike, absorb, apply, enthuse, contain, get hold of, carry, consume, retain, oblige, battle cry, pack, active duty, busy, lock away, study, immerse, bewitch, lodge in, sign on, face, agree, suck, pick out, take away, bind, book, promise, encounter, restrain, flash, enthrall, place, select, belligerent, recruit, subscribe to, postulate, obligation, active service, bring, take on, grip, follow up on, hire, demand, interlock, claim, concern, participate, use, utilise, deal, compel, betroth
battle (part of speech: verb)
hire (part of speech: verb)
endeavor (part of speech: verb)
- 3930. You say that very few people in Burra engage in the home fishing now? - "Second Shetland Truck System Report", William Guthrie.
- In 1820, when in his twenty- first year, he came to England to engage in a similar pursuit, and also to perform the duties of a shochet. - "Some Jewish Witnesses For Christ", Rev. A. Bernstein, B.D..
- The whole engage, only by each giving consent. - "The Ordinance of Covenanting", John Cunningham.