Definition of engine:
- ( Pronounced, in this sense) Natural capacity; ability; skill.
- ( Pronounced, in this sense) To rack; to torture.
- A compound machine by which any physical power is applied to produce a given physical effect.
- Any instrument by which any effect is produced; especially, an instrument or machine of war or torture.
- Anything used to effect a purpose; any device or contrivance; an agent.
- To assault with an engine.
- To equip with an engine; - said especially of steam vessels; as, vessels are often built by one firm and engined by another.
- "The Panama Canal and its Makers", Vaughan Cornish.
- "The Biography of a Rabbit", Roy Benson, Jr..
- "The Doctor A Tale Of The Rockies", Ralph Connor.