Definition of enlist:
- To engage for military or naval service, the name being entered on a list or register; as, to enlist men.
- To enroll and bind one's self for military or naval service; as, he enlisted in the regular army; the men enlisted for the war.
- To enter heartily into a cause, as if enrolled.
- To enter on a list; to enroll; to register.
- To secure the support and aid of; to employ in advancing interest; as, to enlist persons in the cause of truth, or in a charitable enterprise.
wage, pursue, get, recruit, hire, rent, muster, engage, plight, take, betroth, avoid, call to arms, serve, procure, obtain, sign up, mobilize, call up, absorb, place, outline, oblige, win, blueprint, refuse, charter, induct, enter, attract, operate, retain, reserve, prosecute, muster in, secure, mesh, list, initiate, shun, volunteer, affiance, draught, interest, admit, lock, participate, levy, inscribe, lease, occupy, appoint, record, engross, neglect, sign on, conscript, draft, employ.
- coax (part of speech: verb)
- persuade (part of speech: verb)
- enroll (part of speech: verb)
- "Sages and Heroes of the American Revolution", L. Carroll Judson.
- "Who Goes There?", Blackwood Ketcham Benson.
- "Complete State of the Union Addresses from 1790 to the Present", Various.