Definition of enlist :
1. To engage for military or naval service, the name being entered on a list or register; as, to enlist men.
2. To enroll and bind one's self for military or naval service; as, he enlisted in the regular army; the men enlisted for the war.
3. To enter heartily into a cause, as if enrolled.
4. To enter on a list; to enroll; to register.
5. To secure the support and aid of; to employ in advancing interest; as, to enlist persons in the cause of truth, or in a charitable enterprise.
wage, pursue, get, recruit, hire, rent, muster, engage, plight, take, betroth, avoid, call to arms, serve, procure, obtain, sign up, mobilize, call up, absorb, place, outline, oblige, win, blueprint, refuse, charter, induct, enter, attract, operate, retain, reserve, prosecute, muster in, secure, mesh, list, initiate, shun, volunteer, affiance, draught, interest, admit, lock, participate, levy, inscribe, lease, occupy, appoint, record, engross, neglect, sign on, conscript, draft, employ
coax (part of speech: verb)
persuade (part of speech: verb)
enroll (part of speech: verb)
- He was one of a committee to visit the Indian tribes to persuade them not to enlist under the blood stained banner of England. - "Sages and Heroes of the American Revolution", L. Carroll Judson.
- Simply because Jones Berwick was in the Confederate army; I could not have easily gone North to enlist. - "Who Goes There?", Blackwood Ketcham Benson.
- If he did not under such circumstances, he would enlist no sympathy in his favor, and the laws would be readily executed without doing violence to public opinion. - "Complete State of the Union Addresses from 1790 to the Present", Various.