Definition of entitle:
- To attribute; to ascribe.
- To give a claim to; to qualify for, with a direct object of the person, and a remote object of the thing; to furnish with grounds for seeking or claiming with success; as, an officer's talents entitle him to command.
- To give a title to; to affix to as a name or appellation; hence, also, to dignify by an honorary designation; to denominate; to call; as, to entitle a book Commentaries; to entitle a man Honorable.
placate, name, specific, baptize, words, pacify, gruntle, call, dub, appease, term, ennoble, label, style, conciliate, allow, lenify, christen, title, mollify, gentle, accredit, dignify, assuage, qualify.
- "Our Legal Heritage, 4th Ed.", S. A. Reilly.
- "At the Mercy of Tiberius", August Evans Wilson.
He has proved himself to possess in full measure those qualities which go to the making of the best American citizenship, and these, as exercised in our behalf during his all too- short sojourn among us, entitle him to be cordially commended as worthy of all trust in any position to which he may aspire.- "The Boss of Little Arcady", Harry Leon Wilson.