Definition of envious:
- Excessively careful; cautious.
- Feeling or exhibiting envy; actuated or directed by, or proceeding from, envy; -- said of a person, disposition, feeling, act, etc.; jealously pained by the excellence or good fortune of another; maliciously grudging; -- followed by of, at, and against; as, an envious man, disposition, attack; envious tongues.
- Inspiring envy.
- Malignant; mischievous; spiteful.
suspicious, invidious, avaricious, overjealous, jaundiced, jealous, watchful, covetous, generous, green, gracious, prehensile, selfish, begrudging, grabby, aspiring, distrustful, craving, desiring, hankering, charitable, desirous, wishful, grasping, grudging, desire.
- envious (part of speech: adjective)
- resentful (part of speech: adjective)
- "The Mystery of a Turkish Bath", E.M. Gollan (AKA Rita).
- "The Vision of Desire", Margaret Pedler.