Definition of equivocal:
- ( Literally, called equally one thing or the other; hence:) Having two significations equally applicable; capable of double interpretation; of doubtful meaning; ambiguous; uncertain; as, equivocal words; an equivocal sentence.
- A word or expression capable of different meanings; an ambiguous term; an equivoque.
- Capable of being ascribed to different motives, or of signifying opposite feelings, purposes, or characters; deserving to be suspected; as, his actions are equivocal.
- Uncertain, as an indication or sign; doubtful.
double, puzzling, obscure, iffy, suspicious, indeterminate, indefinite, inconclusive, nebulous, borderline, inexplicit, indecisive, evasive, shady, forked, questionable, enigmatical, enigmatic, study at obscure, clouded, dubitable, ambiguous, unclear, honest, certain, suspect, problematic, problematical, unsure, perplexing, clear, fishy, chancy, cloudy, dubious, indistinct, ambivalent, doubtful.
- "Fantômas", Pierre Souvestre Marcel Allain.
- "Problems of Poverty", John A. Hobson.
- "The Panchronicon", Harold Steele Mackaye.