Definition of essay:
- A composition treating of any particular subject; - usually shorter and less methodical than a formal, finished treatise; as, an essay on the life and writings of Homer; an essay on fossils, or on commerce.
- An assay. See Assay, n.
- An effort made, or exertion of body or mind, for the performance of anything; a trial; attempt; as, to make an essay to benefit a friend.
- To exert one's power or faculties upon; to make an effort to perform; to attempt; to endeavor; to make experiment or trial of; to try.
- To test the value and purity of ( metals); to assay. See Assay.
render, prove, piece, turn out, establish, quiz, test, sample, look for, raise, analyze, composition, see, offer, investigate, words, attempt, taste, set about, adjudicate, try on, leaven, paper, crack, audition, turn up, bear witness, show, go, try, judge, assay, undertake, probe, screen, proof, experiment, study, strain, tryout, shot, analyse, canvas, trial, search, examine, stab, strive, stress, evidence, hear, seek, try out, demonstrate, testify, take, shew, rise, canvass.
- dissertation (part of speech: noun)
topic (part of speech: noun)
- endeavor (part of speech: noun)
- "Eighteenth Century Essays on Shakespeare", D. Nichol Smith.
- "Birds and Poets", John Burroughs.
- "The Works of Robert Louis Stevenson - Swanston Edition Vol. 24 (of 25)", Robert Louis Stevenson Other: Andrew Lang.