Definition of essence :
1. A being; esp., a purely spiritual being.
2. Constituent substance.
3. Perfume; odor; scent; or the volatile matter constituting perfume.
4. The constituent elementary notions which constitute a complex notion, and must be enumerated to define it; sometimes called the nominal essence.
5. The constituent quality or qualities which belong to any object, or class of objects, or on which they depend for being what they are ( distinguished as real essence); the real being, divested of all logical accidents; that quality which constitutes or marks the true nature of anything; distinctive character; hence, virtue or quality of a thing, separated from its grosser parts.
6. The predominant qualities or virtues of a plant or drug, extracted and refined from grosser matter; or, more strictly, the solution in spirits of wine of a volatile or essential oil; as, the essence of mint, and the like.
7. To perfume; to scent.
nubble, heart and soul, eye, encumbrance, incumbrance, warmheartedness, substance, shopping centre, liquor, nub, meaning, grain, shopping mall, means, force, magnetic core, loading, extract, tenderness, root, caliber, issue, total, binder, effect, vein, event, subject matter, middle, marrow squash, germ, juice, shopping center, bone marrow, aggregate, amount, essentially, totality, basically, pith, filler, quintessence, load, content, core group, bottom, nerve center, bosom, elixir, gist, reality, stub, center field, constitution, upshot, sum, ammonia, ticker, center of attention, consequence, summation, centre of attention, at bottom, outcome, join, plaza, character, onus, nitty-gritty, life, tincture, backbone, result, sum of money, principle, surface, structure, internality, base, potion, mall, pump, basis, affection, vegetable marrow, being, concentrate, sum total, fondness, stuff, nerve, philia, essentiality, warmness, inwardness, fundamentals, union, drug, amount of money, characteristic, texture, be, affectionateness, nature, spunk, impression, snapper, midpoint, centerfield, message, mettle, gravamen, nerve centre, burden, centre, alcohol
focus (part of speech: noun)
forum, marrow, intersection, asymptote, epitome, lodestar, core, heart, focus, kernel, nucleus, gathering, polestar, meat, bottleneck, lure, funnel, magnet, axle, soul, rendezvous, plenum, spirit, hub, crossing, center, crux, rally
odor (part of speech: noun)
fragrance (part of speech: noun)
- Lest there should be any mistake as to what is meant by this, it is well to say that we now refer to neither the individualism nor the societism which is practically advocated at the present day, but rather to the essence of the two opposing principles. - "Monopolies and the People", Charles Whiting Baker.
- Where there is no choice there can he no real courtship, and where there is no courtship there is no opportunity for the development of those imaginative and sentimental traits which constitute the essence of romantic love. - "Primitive Love and Love-Stories", Henry Theophilus Finck.
- Life on the land- it was the same in essence wherever it was lived, healthy, useful, and honourable. - "The Honour of the Clintons", Archibald Marshall.