Definition of etching:
- A design carried out by means of the above process; a pattern on metal, glass, etc., produced by etching.
- An impression on paper, parchment, or other material, taken in ink from an etched plate.
- of Etch
- The act, art, or practice of engraving by means of acid which eats away lines or surfaces left unprotected in metal, glass, or the like. See Etch, v. t.
- "The Sherrods", George Barr McCutcheon.
Mr. Cotman has favoured us with a good bold etching of the West Front, and of the elevation of compartments of the Nave; The former is at once faithful and magnificent; but the lower part wants characteristic markings.- "A Bibliographical, Antiquarian and Picturesque Tour in France and Germany, Volume One", Thomas Frognall Dibdin.
- "Mark Twain, A Biography, 1835-1910, Complete The Personal And Literary Life Of Samuel Langhorne Clemens", Albert Bigelow Paine Last Updated: February 20, 2009.