Definition of exchequer:
- One of the superior courts of law; - so called from a checkered cloth, which covers, or formerly covered, the table.
- The department of state having charge of the collection and management of the royal revenue. [ Eng.] Hence, the treasury; and, colloquially, pecuniary possessions in general; as, the company's exchequer is low.
- To institute a process against ( any one) in the Court of Exchequer.
- "The Life of Napoleon I (Volumes, 1 and 2)", John Holland Rose.
- "Kenelm Chillingly, Complete", Edward Bulwer-Lytton.
- "The Portion of Labor", Mary E. Wilkins Freeman.