Definition of excommunicate :
1. Excommunicated; interdicted from the rites of the church.
2. One excommunicated.
3. To lay under the ban of the church; to interdict.
4. To put out of communion; especially, to cut off, or shut out, from communion with the church, by an ecclesiastical sentence.
exclude (part of speech: verb)
seclude (part of speech: verb)
blacklist, deport, cordon, expatriate, boycott, banish, eliminate, sequester, expel, exclude, extradite, segregate, confine, evict, cloister, detach, reject, exile, oust, closet, isolate, alienate, extirpate, ostracize, screen, separate, seclude, blackball, insulate, remove, disbar, eject
- The inquisitors of Saragossa, regardless of these regulations, commenced proceedings against the chief justice, and in 1591 threatened to excommunicate him. - "The History of the Inquisition of Spain from the Time of its Establishment to the Reign of Ferdinand VII.", Juan Antonio Llorente.
- A serious look shall be a Jury to excommunicate any man from our company. - "The Scornful Lady", Francis Beaumont and John Fletcher.
- Know you not that everywhere the Rabbis fight desperately against the new Order, that they curse and excommunicate its members. - "Dreamers of the Ghetto", I. Zangwill.