Definition of exemplar :
1. A copy of a book or writing.
2. A model, original, or pattern, to be copied or imitated; a specimen; sometimes; an ideal model or type, as that which an artist conceives.
instance, theoretical account, ensample, manakin, template, classic, mirror, exercise, mannikin, modeling, stereotype, lesson, acme, example, patron saint, fashion model, precedent, eidolon, deterrent example, nonesuch, exemplification, role model, case, perfection, type, paragon, illustration, good example, epitome, poser, simulation, mannequin, byword, manikin, nonpareil, warning, framework, object lesson, representative, good, idea, beau ideal, ideal, apotheosis, sample, modelling, the personification of something
model (part of speech: adjective)
prototype (part of speech: noun)
- Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile. - "Boating", W. B. Woodgate Commentator: Harvey Mason.
- This gentleman was the exemplar of a judge of a subordinate court. - "Personal Reminiscences of Early Days in California with Other Sketches; To Which Is Added the Story of His Attempted Assassination by a Former Associate on the Supreme Bench of the State", Stephen Field; George C. Gorham.
- Sometimes a book containing a noble exemplar of life, taken up at random, merely with the object of reading it as a pastime, has been known to call forth energies whose existence had not before been suspected. - "Self Help", Samuel Smiles.