Definition of explanation:
- A mutual exposition of terms, meaning, or motives, with a view to adjust a misunderstanding, and reconcile differences; reconciliation; agreement; as, to come to an explanation.
- That which explains or makes clear; as, a satisfactory explanation.
- The act of explaining, expounding, or interpreting; the act of clearing from obscurity and making intelligible; as, the explanation of a passage in Scripture, or of a contract or treaty.
- The meaning attributed to anything by one who explains it; definition; interpretation; sense.
elaboration, account, account statement, argument, news report, business relationship, construction, reason, gloss, confession, write up, case, proof, bill, statement, example, tale, evidence, showing, summary, information, narration, outline, annotation, instruction, talking, solution, rationale, recital, story, invoice, criticism, chronicle, anecdote, key, breakdown, history, principle, alibi, telling, enucleation, score, exegesis, accounting, illustration, rendering, glossary, narrative, clarification, display, apology, theory, note, writing, explain, report, brief, road map, illumination, rationalization, footnote, demonstration, explication, exposition, specification.
- interpretation (part of speech: noun)
- answer (part of speech: noun)
- meaning (part of speech: noun)
- plea (part of speech: noun)
- response (part of speech: noun)
- "Wives and Widows; or The Broken Life", Ann S. Stephens.
- "The Worlds Greatest Books Vol. II: Fiction", Arthur Mee, J. A. Hammerton, Eds..
- "Lady Rose's Daughter", Mrs. Humphry Ward.