Definition of explosion :
1. A bursting with violence and loud noise, because of internal pressure; as, the explosion of a gun, a bomb, a steam boiler, etc.
2. A violent outburst of feeling, manifested by excited language, action, etc.; as, an explosion of wrath.
3. The act of exploding; detonation; a chemical action which causes the sudden formation of a great volume of expanded gas; as, the explosion of gunpowder, of fire damp, etc.
burst, bang, magnification, gush, ignition, ebullition, blowout, outburst, blast, discharge, rat-a-tat-tat, crack, bark, volley, backfire, detonation, clap, salvo, snap, outbreak, percussion, gust, fusillade, flare-up, fit, noise, fulmination, enlargement, access, plosion, blowup, report, combustion, eruption, concussion, pop, effusion
- I suppose I'm a bad manager; at any rate, whatever it is, things have been getting worse and worse, and one day soon there'll be an explosion, and that will be the end. - "The Wooden Horse", Hugh Walpole.
- It looked as though this stuff had been brought in by ship from somewhere else on this time line; the warehouses were too far from the conveyers and right beside the ship dock- There was a tremendous explosion somewhere. - "Time Crime", H. Beam Piper.
- It must have been an explosion. - "The Boys of Bellwood School", Frank V. Webster.