Definition of extend:
- To bestow; to offer; to impart; to apply; as, to extend sympathy to the suffering.
- To enlarge, as a surface or volume; to expand; to spread; to amplify; as, to extend metal plates by hammering or rolling them.
- To enlarge; to widen; to carry out further; as, to extend the capacities, the sphere of usefulness, or commerce; to extend power or influence; to continue, as time; to lengthen; to prolong; as, to extend the time of payment or a season of trail.
- To hold out or reach forth, as the arm or hand.
- To increase in quantity by weakening or adulterating additions; as, to extend liquors.
- To stretch out; to prolong in space; to carry forward or continue in length; as, to extend a line in surveying; to extend a cord across the street.
- To value, as lands taken by a writ of extent in satisfaction of a debt; to assign by writ of extent.
go bad, fall out, pump up, proffer, retain, blend, run up, underwrite, compensate, head, incorporate, count in, affix, tense, flesh out, build in, cross, show, annex, cut through, try, go back, get going, propose, outstretch, join on, inconvenience, stretch, spin out, overtake, lace, last out, rise, slip by, fade, address, egest, escape, overlay, spread out, evoke, occur, behave, give away, devolve, stockpile, bleed, have a bun in the oven, insure, stress, breed, trot out, black market, lapse, guide, glide by, work, take out, go, turn over, scat, separate out, traverse, sophisticate, bother, hide, blossom out, persuade, embrace, buy the farm, sum up, put across, head for the hills, post, finance, soar, exceed, extract, run low, get over, bifurcate, fit, widen, put together, truncate, comport, anaesthetize, carry, channel, break, exposit, hightail it, poke out, prevail, operate, leave, fail, gallop, decease, voice, lie, top, retire, strive, last, water down, belong, hold up, range, survive, fan, manifest, withstand, outspread, pull, anaesthetise, hunt, exit, blossom, adjoin, let out, endure, flow, take in, suck out, give out, hunt down, deport, run for, end, eke out, build, bear, thrive, happen, cut across, educe, thin, put out, plow, pop the question, proliferate, display, blow up, bunk, sound, go through, publish, add on, hold, adulterate, erect, break down, bend, accelerate, melt, slide by, excrete, play, shroud, string out, elaborate, blend in, sway, weaken, keep, expect, hold over, consort, ascend, unravel, feed, choke, die hard, up, double, aggrandize, carry on, spend, flare, treat, prolongate, slip away, tense up, go along, change, cash in one's chips, get, moderate, lucubrate, overcompensate, ply, transport, telescope, wax, make up, go forward, wear, transcend, surpass, authorize, run short, cut, snuff it, pass over, unroll, bear on, volunteer, contain, track, open, involve, hap, track down, lead, evanesce, race, conk out, drag out, shorten, pack, reach, attach, communicate, conduct, filtrate, span, long, go by, handle, chair, puree, depart, pass away, break away, set up, resist, go past, transmit, incline, clock in at, fly the coop, stand firm, spread over, load, go up, hold out, sink, take to the woods, unfurl, brood, branch off, afford, anesthetise, add to, enshroud, give way, cover up, assemble, declare oneself, die, elapse, eliminate, bear the cost/expense etc., encompass, plump, spin, fold your arms/hands, overstep, lam, lean, throw up, reach out, connect, run, hatch, douse, stretch forth, include, kick the bucket, offer up, diverge, produce, go across, expire, elicit, proceed, preserve, pass along, fall, prolongation, incubate, blow over, function, direct, compound, start, make pass, hype, build up, perish, invest in, anesthetize, expound, crane, discommode, diversify, incommode, travel by, pass off, stick out, live, remain, flourish, hand, move, make no secret of something, filter, run away, pass by, scarper, strain, return, express, stoke, aspirate, draw out, melt down, trouble, stay on, authorise, snowball, dilute, overhaul, supersize, escalate, fleet, vary, construct, pull out, drop dead, get across, put under, disoblige, acquit, report, put up, pass, drag, express yourself, pass on, course, live on, exsert, beef up, filter out, locomote, gestate, blossom forth, ladder, take place, stretch along, go through the roof, smother, sift, pull up, campaign, divide, sieve, go away, kick, surrender, bring out, come about, deform, precede, subjoin, conk, stock, renew, keep up, cover, comprehend, persist in, clear, conduce, wave, debase, mount, wrap up, pay out, draw, take, rifle, unfold, give-up the ghost, stay, distort, make it, pop off, perpetuate, upsurge, abbreviate, boom, become, step up, offer, go on, result, legislate, tend, convey, croak, append, stretch out, broaden, close, dribble, execute, travel, keep on, expatiate, cast up, branch out, uphold, turn tail, be given, release.
- increase (part of speech: verb)
- extend (part of speech: verb)
- lengthen (part of speech: verb)
- offer (part of speech: verb)
- expand (part of speech: verb)
give (part of speech: verb)
- continue (part of speech: verb)
- "Afar in the Forest", W.H.G. Kingston.
- "Holland, v. 1 (of 2)", Edmondo de Amicis.
Colonel Chesnut dismounted so as the better to use his glass, and at that moment the column formed into line, by which the wind struck the flag so as to extend it, and it was plainly revealed to be that of the United States.- "The Rise and Fall of the Confederate Government, Vol. 1 (of 2)", Jefferson Davis.