Definition of extinguish :
1. To obscure; to eclipse, as by superior splendor.
2. To quench; to put out, as a light or fire; to stifle; to cause to die out; to put an end to; to destroy; as, to extinguish a flame, or life, or love, or hope, a pretense or a right.
assuage, quiet, suffocate, eat, supersede, remove, quieten, carry away, extract, stamp out, overthrow, total, cancel out, hold back, slake, tear down, squash, do away with, demolish, bring off, root, switch off, smash, eat up, clear, winnow out, uproot, kill off, settle, void, rule out, desolate, extirpate, manage, run through, quell, pull off, dim, wreck, put down, shut off, exterminate, choke off, help, turn off, quench, pulverize, ruin, dumb, excrete, snuff out, still, quash, shut up, vitiate, darken, make, tackle, blanket, erase, drown out, hush, express, supplant, cream, exhaust, abrogate, rid of, blow out, annihilate, waste, stifle, bear away, nuke, wrack, raze, deplete, shadow, root out, crush out, overshadow, wipe out, block out, douse, take away, stub out, cut out, suppress, blow, press out, set aside, allay, choke, kill, squeeze out, mute, press, egest, devastate, continue, squelch, use up, snuff, pull down, consume, beat out, put out, smother, get rid of, carry off, liquidate, blot out, interfere with, vaporize, sweep away, decimate, crush, obviate, shatter, do in, burn out, rub out, win, pass, shade, bear off, overturn, subvert, fight a fire/blaze, shush, cut into, negociate
annul (part of speech: verb)
delete, efface, divorce, eradicate, dismiss, reject, disavow, invalidate, eliminate, nullify, retract, disaffirm, veto, refute, abnegate, neutralize, deny, withdraw, obliterate, destroy, cancel, abolish, repudiate, revoke, negate, undo, disclaim, annul, dissolve
- Would they go away in time for her to extinguish the fire? - "Taken Alive", E. P. Roe.
- Why not extinguish him at once, and thus avoid so much temptation to evil? - "Love's Final Victory", Horatio.
- 4. People knock the ashes out of their pipes while still alight and forget to extinguish the fire. - "The Voyage of the Vega round Asia and Europe, Volume I and Volume II", A.E. Nordenskieold.