Definition of failure:
- A becoming insolvent; bankruptcy; suspension of payment; as, failure in business.
- A failing; a slight fault.
- Cessation of supply, or total defect; a failing; deficiency; as, failure of rain; failure of crops.
- Decay, or defect from decay; deterioration; as, the failure of memory or of sight.
- Omission; nonperformance; as, the failure to keep a promise.
- Want of success; the state of having failed.
shortage, disaster, nonfeasance, clinker, bad hair day, derelict, washout, insolvency, second best, dead duck, deterioration, harm, bankrupt, unsuccessfulness, frost, off day, paucity, faux pas, stalemate, corn, scantiness, drought, money, cultivate, lacuna, defaulter, misfortune, deficit, crunch, crop rotation, botch, arable, unsuccessful person, the slow lane, cash crop, crop, nonachievement, bomb, trial, success, bereavement, accomplishment, combine, bum, oversight, flash in the pan, bummer, chastening, stoppage, reverse, thrive, famine, negligence, insufficiency, mishap, do, clunker, misstep, dog, no-account, affliction, poverty, miss, scapegrace, disappointment, scarcity, abortion, want, adversity, frustration, stagnation, evasion, sidestep, catastrophe, cropper, pinch, misprision, inertia, inaction, fallow, cultivated, inadequateness, unsuccess, crop circle, hardship, decline, trouble, loser, slump, mischance, beachcomber, declination, scarceness, visitation, ill luck, delay, calamity, wilderness, rout, distress, blow, mess, malfunction, eclipse, crash, stroke, nonsuccess, ill fortune, misadventure, sorrow, chastisement, lame duck, a spent force, misery, fizzle, increase, standstill, suspended animation, bankruptcy, star, prodigal, checkmate, avoidance, omission, incompetent, outage, quitter, delinquency, undersupply, default, veteran, tribulation, nonstarter, bungle, lull, lack, trough, dearth, rupture, ill.
- dereliction (part of speech: noun)
- failure (part of speech: noun)
- defeat (part of speech: noun)
- inferior (part of speech: noun)
- ruin (part of speech: noun)
- inutility (part of speech: noun)
- "Their Silver Wedding Journey", William Dean Howells.
- "Autobiography of Anthony Trollope", Anthony Trollope.
- "Miss Pat at Artemis Lodge", Pemberton Ginther.