Definition of federal:
- Composed of states or districts which retain only a subordinate and limited sovereignty, as the Union of the United States, or the Sonderbund of Switzerland.
- Consisting or pertaining to such a government; as, the Constitution; a officer.
- Friendly or devoted to such a government; as, the party. see Federalist.
- Pertaining to a league or treaty; derived from an agreement or covenant between parties, especially between nations; constituted by a compact between parties, usually governments or their representatives.
- See Federalist.
When scarcely of voting age he became mayor of the town in which he lived and by sheer force of character made his way up into the state legislature, the federal House of Representatives and the Senate.- "The United States Since The Civil War", Charles Ramsdell Lingley.
- "The United States Since The Civil War", Charles Ramsdell Lingley.
- "Community Civics and Rural Life", Arthur W. Dunn.