Definition of female :
1. A plant which produces only that kind of reproductive organs which are capable of developing into fruit after impregnation or fertilization; a pistillate plant.
2. An individual of the sex which conceives and brings forth young, or ( in a wider sense) which has an ovary and produces ova.
3. Belonging to an individual of the female sex; characteristic of woman; feminine; as, female tenderness.
4. Belonging to the sex which conceives and gives birth to young, or ( in a wider sense) which produces ova; not male.
5. Having pistils and no stamens; pistillate; or, in cryptogamous plants, capable of receiving fertilization.
female (part of speech: adjective)
woman (part of speech: noun)
- In almost the last cave we entered, where two standing figures on the right and left mount guard over the well- known image of the Master, our footsteps roused a large female rat and her young, which crawled up the silent seated figure and took refuge on the very crown of its head. - "By-Ways of Bombay", S. M. Edwardes, C.V.O..
- Tell me, are you willing to assist a poor, defenseless female in her hour of trial?" - "Howard Pyle's Book of Pirates", Howard I. Pyle.
- " There's a lion track for you; made by a female, a two- year- old; but can't say if she passed here last night. - "The Last of the Plainsmen", Zane Grey.