Definition of female:
- A plant which produces only that kind of reproductive organs which are capable of developing into fruit after impregnation or fertilization; a pistillate plant.
- An individual of the sex which conceives and brings forth young, or ( in a wider sense) which has an ovary and produces ova.
- Belonging to an individual of the female sex; characteristic of woman; feminine; as, female tenderness.
- Belonging to the sex which conceives and gives birth to young, or ( in a wider sense) which produces ova; not male.
- Having pistils and no stamens; pistillate; or, in cryptogamous plants, capable of receiving fertilization.
In almost the last cave we entered, where two standing figures on the right and left mount guard over the well- known image of the Master, our footsteps roused a large female rat and her young, which crawled up the silent seated figure and took refuge on the very crown of its head.- "By-Ways of Bombay", S. M. Edwardes, C.V.O..
- "Howard Pyle's Book of Pirates", Howard I. Pyle.
- "The Last of the Plainsmen", Zane Grey.