Definition of fermentation:
- A state of agitation or excitement, as of the intellect or the feelings.
- The process of undergoing an effervescent change, as by the action of yeast; in a wider sense ( Physiol. Chem.), the transformation of an organic substance into new compounds by the action of a ferment, either formed or unorganized. It differs in kind according to the nature of the ferment which causes it.
ebullition, fermenting, tempestuousness, frothing, foaming, agitation, dissolving, turmoil, volatilization, excitement, thing, leavening, souring, hullabaloo, zymosis, unrest, turbulence, zymolysis, overflowing, bubbling, upheaval, ferment, evaporation.
- "Modeste Mignon", Honore de Balzac.
- "From the Easy Chair, series 3", George William Curtis.
- "The English Novel in the Time of Shakespeare", J. J. Jusserand.