Definition of filibuster:
- A lawless military adventurer, especially one in quest of plunder; a freebooter; -- originally applied to buccaneers infesting the Spanish American coasts, but introduced into common English to designate the followers of Lopez in his expedition to Cuba in 1851, and those of Walker in his expedition to Nicaragua, in 1855.
- To act as a filibuster, or military freebooter.
- To delay legislation, by dilatory motions or other artifices.
holding the floor, filibusterer, long-windedness, stonewalling, procrastination, postponement, benches, peroration, the Budget, backbench, agent, interference, the House, hindrance, the House of Commons, obstructionism, the Commons, the House of Lords, delay, dispatch box, obstruction to congressional action, opposition.
- "Captain Macklin", Richard Harding Davis.
- "The Boy Scout and Other Stories for Boys", Richard Harding Davis.
- "More Hunting Wasps", J. Henri Fabre.