Definition of fillip:
- A jerk of the finger forced suddenly from the thumb; a smart blow.
- Something serving to rouse or excite.
- To bind, furnish, or adorn with a fillet.
- To snap; to project quickly.
- To strike with the nail of the finger, first placed against the ball of the thumb, and forced from that position with a sudden spring; to snap with the finger.
- "The Prairie Mother", Arthur Stringer.
And when he does make time for a visit to the Red House, he is so affectionate; brings with him such an atmosphere of enjoyment; is so full of interesting pieces of news about the progress of the preparations, of pleasant speeches as to the intense eagerness on the part of the whole Hartley family to make Prue's acquaintance, that for twenty- four hours after each of them her spirits maintain the level to which the fillip of his easy tendernesses has lifted them.- "Doctor Cupid", Rhoda Broughton.
- "The Grammar of English Grammars", Goold Brown.