Definition of fine:
- ( Used ironically.)
- A final agreement concerning lands or rents between persons, as the lord and his vassal.
- A sum of money or price paid for obtaining a benefit, favor, or privilege, as for admission to a copyhold, or for obtaining or renewing a lease.
- Aiming at show or effect; loaded with ornament; overdressed or overdecorated; showy.
- End; conclusion; termination; extinction.
- Finely; well; elegantly; fully; delicately; mincingly.
- Finished; brought to perfection; refined; hence, free from impurity; excellent; superior; elegant; worthy of admiration; accomplished; beautiful.
- Having ( such) a proportion of pure metal in its composition; as, coins nine tenths fine.
- In a manner so that the driven ball strikes the object ball so far to one side as to be deflected but little, the object ball being driven to one side.
- Made of fine materials; light; delicate; as, fine linen or silk.
- Nice; delicate; subtle; exquisite; artful; skillful; dexterous.
- Not coarse, gross, or heavy
- Not coarse; comminuted; in small particles; as, fine sand or flour.
- Not gross; subtile; thin; tenous.
- Not thick or heavy; slender; filmy; as, a fine thread.
- Thin; attenuate; keen; as, a fine edge.
- To become fine ( in any one of various senses); as, the ale will fine; the weather fined.
- To change by fine gradations; as ( Naut.), to fine down a ship's lines, to diminish her lines gradually.
- To finish; to cease; or to cause to cease.
- To impose a pecuniary penalty upon for an offense or breach of law; to set a fine on by judgment of a court; to punish by fine; to mulct; as, the trespassers were fined ten dollars.
- To make fine; to refine; to purify, to clarify; as, to fine gold.
- To make finer, or less coarse, as in bulk, texture, etc.; as. to fine the soil.
- To pay a fine. See Fine, n., 3 ( b).
definite, cloudless, tophole, bewitching, swell, brag, banner, fair, okay, capital, pulverous, bully, fine-grained, hunky-dory, pretty, superior, better, floury, exceptional, satisfactory, attractive, minute, f., powdery, precise, distinct, great, pleasant, lovely, clear, dainty, small, well, alright, expensive, all right, ticket, finespun, light, dustlike, delicate, comely, pulverised, o.k., good, boss, blue-ribbon, superfine, pulverulent, o.k., small-grained, granular, ok, first-class, thin, beauteous, strict, terrific, champion, elegant, dandy, close, picturesque, beautiful, ingestion, topflight, tight, powdered, amercement, little, accurate, mulct, top, pulverized, exquisitely, very well, tiptop, dainty, close-grained, dusty, nongranular, A-one, delicately, quality, superb, finely, pure, unclouded, big, delicate, handsome.
- good (part of speech: adjective)
- elegant (part of speech: adjective)
- punishment (part of speech: noun)
- penalize (part of speech: verb)
- punish (part of speech: verb)
- penalty (part of speech: noun)
- excellent (part of speech: adjective)
- pleasurable (part of speech: adjective)
- narrow (part of speech: adjective)
- wispy (part of speech: adjective)