Definition of finish :
1. Completion; - opposed to start, or beginning.
2. See Finishing coat, under Finishing.
3. That which finishes, puts an end to or perfects.
4. The joiner work and other finer work required for the completion of a building, especially of the interior. See Inside finish, and Outside finish.
5. The labor required to give final completion to any work; hence, minute detail, careful elaboration, or the like.
6. The result of completed labor, as on the surface of an object; manner or style of finishing; as, a rough, dead, or glossy finish given to cloth, stone, metal, etc.
7. To arrive at the end of; to bring to an end; to put an end to; to make an end of; to terminate.
8. To bestow the last required labor upon; to complete; to bestow the utmost possible labor upon; to perfect; to accomplish; to polish.
9. To come to an end; to terminate.
10. To end; to die.
destroy, lay off, smash, exhaust, bring to an end, swallow up, run through, fetch up, barricade, eat, remove, goal, coat, block off, finish up, immerse, discontinue, dismiss, fill in, acculturation, help, demolish, elaboration, give the axe, determination, arrest, be, finishing, nuance, wrack, shine, start, get through, clear up, kibosh, off, cut down, knock off, hold on, carry off, land up, give the sack, refining, blockade, address, glaze, earth up, come to an end, waste, refinement, consume, spend, surface, arouse, ratiocination, terminus, murder, stop over, rub out, zap, polish, cross up, turn back, application, force out, undo, shade, draw down, ruin, name and address, closing curtain, final stage, nicety, bury, hit, expend, eat up, mop up, culture, subtlety, give over, purification, coda, cultivation, stopping point, leave off, deplete, cut off, burnish, bump off, nail, fill out, place, turn on, slay, gloss, increase, bankrupt, dispatch, come in, sack, wipe out, put away, block, finish off, hold back, swallow, wash up, bar, cobbler's last, break down, covering, last, total, shatter, polish off, civilisation, wreck, discharge, use up, check, do in, give notice, glossiness, intercept, block up, run, shoemaker's last, excite, make out, destination, wind-up, decision, quit, torpedo, kill, break off, break, desist, sink, coating, drain, refrain, displace, contain, fire, pause, end up, give up, spoil, play out, abstain, can, intermit, civilization, send away, wind, liquidate, sex
complete (part of speech: verb)
end (part of speech: verb)
completion (part of speech: noun)