Definition of fit:
- A darting point; a sudden emission.
- A mood of any kind which masters or possesses one for a time; a temporary, absorbing affection; a paroxysm; as, a fit melancholy, of passion, or of laughter.
- A passing humor; a caprice; a sudden and unusual effort, activity, or motion, followed by relaxation or insction; an impulse and irregular action.
- A stroke or blow.
- A sudden and violent attack of a disorder; a stroke of disease, as of epilepsy or apoplexy, which produces convulsions or unconsciousness; a convulsion; a paroxysm; hence, a period of exacerbation of a disease; in general, an attack of disease; as, a fit of sickness.
- Adapted to an end, object, or design; suitable by nature or by art; suited by character, qualitties, circumstances, education, etc.; qualified; competent; worthy.
- Conformed to a standart of duty, properiety, or taste; convenient; meet; becoming; proper.
- imp. & p. p. of Fight.
- In Old English, a song; a strain; a canto or portion of a ballad; a passus.
- Prepared; ready.
- The coincidence of parts that come in contact.
- The part of an object upon which anything fits tightly.
- The quality of being fit; adjustment; adaptedness; as of dress to the person of the wearer.
- To be adjusted to a particular shape or size; to suit; to be adapted; as, his coat fits very well.
- To be proper or becoming.
- To be suitable to; to answer the requirements of; to be correctly shaped and adjusted to; as, if the coat fits you, put it on.
- To bring to a required form and size; to shape aright; to adapt to a model; to adjust; - said especially of the work of a carpenter, machinist, tailor, etc.
- To make fit or suitable; to adapt to the purpose intended; to qualify; to put into a condition of readiness or preparation.
- To supply with something that is suitable or fit, or that is shaped and adjusted to the use required.
hit, blend in, hold in, garb, stop, chalk up, add together, buy the farm, conciliate, play off, croak, due, consist, forgather, stand for, beseem, discipline, enclothe, determine, tick off, change, suffer, gibe, check over, befit, ready-made, suss out, play, check off, ensure, equal, belong, operate, check up on, contact, concord, retard, curb, give-up the ghost, break, accordant, consonant, couple, sum up, pat, sum, explosion, gear, equip, setting, seasonable, proper, conniption, garment, conformable, congruous, conform to, relevant, likely, upheaval, learn, quadrate, get together, fulfill, watch, calculated, apposite, foregather, rig, provide, go away, come across, perish, consort, total, apply, adjoin, die, outfit, drape, shot, run into, adjust, apparel, see to it, fail, oblige, add, equitable, hold, unfit, able-bodied, barrack, burst, rifle, receive, lead, concurrent, control, clothe, hold out, satisfactory, equalize, plump, assemble, tailor, exit, chime, function, conform, raiment, equate, aspect, prospect, tot up, qualified, flare-up, conditioned, summate, agreeable, reconcile, alter, view, accommodate, meet, pair, fusillade, sufficient, picture, capable, auspicious, agree, contain, outburst, jeer, volley, apropos, matched, practicable, sound, square, ascertain, correspond, live on, acclimatize, oppose, kick the bucket, locomote, flout, rightful, set, adapted, fit to, accord, turn out, tally, run across, in condition, pit, harmonize, chequer, lucky, train, change course, match, parallel, last, preferable, tot, suitable, worthy, legitimate, acclimatize, able, felicitous, comely, go, assure, concur, check, happy, arrest, suited, unsuited, take on, disagree, harmonise, harmonious, prepared, delay, accouter, check out, run low, checker, convulsion, trim, becoming, vista, pass away, follow, fit out, get going, applicable, moderate, travel, panorama, cope with, strong, equalise, choke, acceptable, fulfil, cash in one's chips, live, crack, hold up, encounter, mark off, unseemly, check into, find out, wise, endure, admissible, congenial, snuff it, primed, ready, work, tantrum, break down, feasible, depart, admit, start, rack up, condition, touch, habilitate, look into, decease, see, pass, tailor-made, compatible, fitted, tog, beneficial, fit in, right, insure, fill, converge, move, conk, scene, paroxysm, adequate, commensurate, expire, appropriate, tick, comport with, healthy, add up, pop off, give out, rival, hold back, go bad, fix, extend, pertinent, decent, go over, acclimate, give way, drop dead, mark, gybe, favorable, survive, get, scenery, give, fir for, competent, click, represent, order, blend, mate, twin, appoint, gather, scoff, conk out, hang, run short, salvo, go with, jib, tasteful, implement, tote up, adapt, jibe, turn back, score, eligible, proceed, correspondent, lodge, respond, relate, run, seemly, decorous, consistent, turmoil.
- healthy (part of speech: adjective)
- expedient (part of speech: adjective)
- prepare (part of speech: verb)
- suit (part of speech: verb)
- suitable (part of speech: adjective)
- "The Woman of Mystery", Maurice Leblanc.
- "The Art of Public Speaking", Dale Carnagey (AKA Dale Carnegie) and J. Berg Esenwein.
- "For the Allinson Honor", Harold Bindloss.