Definition of flicker:
- The act of wavering or of fluttering; flucuation; sudden and brief increase of brightness; as, the last flicker of the dying flame.
- The golden- winged woodpecker ( Colaptes aurutus); - so called from its spring note. Called also yellow- hammer, high- holder, pigeon woodpecker, and yucca.
- To flutter; to flap the wings without flying.
- To waver unsteadily, like a flame in a current of air, or when about to expire; as, the flickering light.
leaf, go up, surge, flitter, flap, shining, film, come and go, click, flit, picture, dart, electric discharge, coruscation, riff, scintillation, arc, sheen, riffle, bird of paradise, falter, motion picture, light, budgie, electric arc, flush, whiff, gleam, quaver, flick, dive, burst, faltering, glint, twitch, quiver, dance, hoo-ha, blackbird, kerfuffle, flash, disruption, study at flame, dazzle, fit, blaze, catch fire, spark, emerge, impulse, hesitate, wink, repetition, glistering, burn, bobwhite, lurch, commotion, incandescence, luster, gleaming, bluejay, trace, moving picture, twinkling, bullfinch, shine, to-do, touch, ignite, hurly burly, continue, glare, erupt, kindle, vacillate, glistening, hover, spurt, pop up, glow, outburst, flame, bat, quake, disturbance, flare-up, bluebird, rush, breath, glitter, descend on, spring, fluctuate, discharge, jump, tang, fluttering, break through, budgerigar, crop up, bantam, ruffle, start, jerk, pulsate, jolt, twinge, thumb, waver, catch, lunge, come at, snap, flurry, beat, shoot up, glance, weave, spasm, flip, barn owl, hesitation, radiance, palpitate, flare, suggestion, hoo-hah, waffle, illumination, flapping, spring up, flutter, fleet.
- "The Ghost Ship", Richard Middleton.
- "Hopalong Cassidy's Rustler Round-Up Bar-20", Clarence Edward Mulford.
Trained in the consciousness of regard, the woman they discussed looked across at them as Blake ceased, and the flicker of a smile touched her lips- a smile of interest in which there lurked no hint of invitation.- "Max", Katherine Cecil Thurston.