Definition of flirt:
- A sudden jerk; a quick throw or cast; a darting motion; hence, a jeer.
- One who flirts; esp., a woman who acts with giddiness, or plays at courtship; a coquette; a pert girl.
- Pert; wanton.
- To jeer at; to treat with contempt; to mock.
- To run and dart about; to act with giddiness, or from a desire to attract notice; especially, to play the coquette; to play at courtship; to coquet; as, they flirt with the young men.
- To throw with a jerk or quick effort; to fling suddenly; as, they flirt water in each other's faces; he flirted a glove, or a handkerchief.
- To toss or throw about; to move playfully to and fro; as, to flirt a fan.
- To utter contemptuous language, with an air of disdain; to jeer or gibe.
encounter, on the make, flirtatious, bet, vamp, minx, flirtation, bring, trifling, play, make a pass at someone, philander, spiel, take on, dawdling, masher, coquette, squeeze, coquetry, gold digger, act, coquet, solicit, womanise, womanize, fiddle, tease, vexer, crunch, man-eating, sweep someone off their feet, heartbreaker, temptress, make for, wanton, grind, seducer, run after, butterfly, ribbing, pick up, bray, work, teasing, squelch, mash, flirting, lady-killer, pair off, crush, inconstant, wolf, trifle, dalliance, philanderer, act as, flirter, vamper, prickteaser, roleplay, romance, playact, dawdle, annoyer, sex, coquettish, seductress, wager, meet, chat up, diddle, tantalization, come-on, wreak, run, siren, a fast worker, trifler, recreate, have your eye on someone, teaser, dally, represent, toy, toying, squash, flibbertigibbet, ask out, chase, vixen, comminute.
- "Melomaniacs", James Huneker.
- "Kent Knowles: Quahaug", Joseph C. Lincoln.
- "The Simpkins Plot", George A. Birmingham.