Definition of flounce:
- An ornamental appendage to the skirt of a woman's dress, consisting of a strip gathered and sewed on by its upper edge around the skirt, and left hanging.
- The act of floucing; a sudden, jerking motion of the body.
- To deck with a flounce or flounces; as, to flounce a petticoat or a frock.
- To throw the limbs and body one way and the other; to spring, turn, or twist with sudden effort or violence; to struggle, as a horse in mire; to flounder; to throw one's self with a jerk or spasm, often as in displeasure.
falderol, folderal, move, neck ruff, gimcrackery, ruff, choker, frill, furbelow, sashay, swash, ruffle, gimcrack, prance, decoration, nonsense, swagger, fray, fringe, peacock, self-love, strut, swank, trimming, affray, trumpery, disturbance.
- "Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town", Stephen Leacock.
- "Plays: Lady Frederick, The Explorer, A Man of Honor", William Somerset Maugham.
- "The Getting of Wisdom", Henry Handel Richardson.