Definition of fluent :
1. A current of water; a stream.
2. A variable quantity, considered as increasing or diminishing; - called, in the modern calculus, the function or integral.
3. Flowing or capable of flowing; liquid; glodding; easily moving.
4. Ready in the use of words; voluble; copious; having words at command; and uttering them with facility and smoothness; as, a fluent speaker; hence, flowing; voluble; smooth; - said of language; as, fluent speech.
tongue-tied, read out, diffuse, Anglo, flat, legato, downhill, unstable, declamatory, royal, disputatious, false beginner, supple, read, cheap, devour, tranquil, colloquial, swimming, verbose, cogent, mobile, bilingual, argumentative, silverish, chatty, still, economical, style, suave, placid, unruffled, melted, circuitous, painless, bantering, effusive, graceful, illegible, imperative, voluble, encode, runny, discursive, fluid, smooth-spoken, silvern, snap, code switching, mellifluous, bland, silver-tongued, clean, copious, garrulous, definite, lithe, silvery, inarticulate, communicative competence, clamorous, crisp, brokenly, limpid, politic, dainty, talkative, liquid, flatly, honeyed, ready, stammering, balletic, fidelity, wordy, fluency, gentle, liquified, quiet, soft, silver, study, flowing, halting, light, persuasive, feline, hands-down, legible, peruse, argent, gibbering, vocal, conversational, anglophone
articulate (part of speech: adjective)
facile (part of speech: adjective)
- She paused again; and still the usually fluent Channing had not found his voice. - "Kildares of Storm", Eleanor Mercein Kelly.
- But if we would add to the faculty of fluent speaking the gifts of eloquence, these must be sought where the ancients found them, in a patient and persevering devotion to the art. - "The Portland Sketch Book", Various.
- She smiled a welcome to the ladies, thereby displaying a double row of dazzling white teeth, while Lozoncyi in fluent Italian ordered her to take the portmanteau to the dressing- room and unpack it. - "Countess Erika's Apprenticeship", Ossip Schubin.