Definition of flyer :
1. A small operation not involving ? considerable part of one's capital, or not in the line of one's ordinary business; a venture.
2. Anything that is scattered abroad in great numbers as a theatrical programme, an advertising leaf, etc.
3. One in a flight of steps which are parallel to each other( as in ordinary stairs), as distinguished from a winder.
4. One that uses wings.
5. The fan wheel that rotates the cap of a windmill as the wind veers.
6. The fly of a flag: See Fly, n., 6.
7. The pair of arms attached to the spindle of a spinning frame, over which the thread passes to the bobbin; - so called from their swift revolution. See Fly, n., 11.
measure, street arab, aviator, placard, banker's bill, airman, philippic, card, bank bill, folder, tirade, broadsheet, throwaway, beak, notice, broadside, government note, greenback, vizor, gamin, visor, eyeshade, nib, peak, circular, leaflet, pecker, invoice, booklet, bank note, handbill, aeronaut, flier, neb, account, banknote, posting, billhook, brochure, note, bill, poster
- But that policy did not always work- sometimes the lone British flyer came out ahead, despite the odds against him. - "A Minstrel In France", Harry Lauder.
- The Jovian fleet was approaching so rapidly that a collision with the nearest flyer seemed inevitable. - "Giants on the Earth", Sterner St. Paul Meek.
- Far down the track he saw a glimmering dot of fire and heard the faint muffled whistle of the Flyer. - "Sundown Slim", Henry Hubert Knibbs.