Definition of folio :
1. A book made of sheets of paper each folded once ( four pages to the sheet); hence, a book of the largest kind. See Note under Paper.
2. A leaf containing a certain number of words, hence, a certain number of words in a writing, as in England, in law proceedings 72, and in chancery, 90; in New York, 100 words.
3. A leaf of a book or manuscript.
4. A page of a book; ( Bookkeeping) a page in an account book; sometimes, two opposite pages bearing the same serial number.
5. A sheet of paper once folded.
6. The page number. The even folios are on the left- hand pages and the odd folios on the right- hand.
paging, blook, foliage, page number, bestseller, carbon, clipboard, binder, atlas, blotting paper, authority, pagination, carbon paper, acetate, leafage, correction fluid, card, annual, anthology, autobiography, almanac, blotter, bible, leaf, business card, biography
book (part of speech: noun)
catalog, insert, index, novel, chapter, booklet, log, work, pamphlet, manual, publication, verse, handbook, magazine, chronicle, leaflet, textbook, monograph, serial, compendium, report, book, play book, script, tract, volume, treatise, brochure, record, tome, libretto, list
case (part of speech: noun)
- And so to supper with him, and to work again at the office; then home, to set up all my folio books, which are come home gilt on the backs, very handsome to the eye, and then at midnight to bed. - "Diary of Samuel Pepys, Complete Transcribed From The Shorthand Manuscript In The Pepysian Library Magdalene College Cambridge By The Rev. Mynors Bright", Samuel Pepys Commentator: Lord Braybrooke.
- The series are upon one folio sheet, now very rare. - "Curiosities of Literature, Vol. 3 (of 3)", Isaac Disraeli.
- Example: " There would be scarce any such thing in nature as a folio." - "The Grammar of English Grammars", Goold Brown.