Definition of foot:
- A combination of syllables consisting a metrical element of a verse, the syllables being formerly distinguished by their quantity or length, but in modern poetry by the accent.
- Fundamental principle; basis; plan; - used only in the singular.
- Recognized condition; rank; footing; - used only in the singular.
- Soldiers who march and fight on foot; the infantry, usually designated as the foot, in distinction from the cavalry.
- That which corresponds to the foot of a man or animal; as, the foot of a table; the foot of a stocking.
- The lower edge of a sail.
- The lowest part or base; the ground part; the bottom, as of a mountain or column; also, the last of a row or series; the end or extremity, esp. if associated with inferiority; as, the foot of a hill; the foot of the procession; the foot of a class; the foot of the bed.
- The muscular locomotive organ of a mollusk. It is a median organ arising from the ventral region of body, often in the form of a flat disk, as in snails. See Illust. of Buccinum.
- The size or strike with the talon.
- The terminal part of the leg of man or an animal; esp., the part below the ankle or wrist; that part of an animal upon which it rests when standing, or moves. See Manus, and Pes.
- To kick with the foot; to spurn.
- To renew the foot of, as of stocking.
- To set on foot; to establish; to land.
- To sum up, as the numbers in a column; - sometimes with up; as, to foot ( or foot up) an account.
- To tread to measure or music; to dance; to trip; to skip.
- To tread; as, to foot the green.
- To walk; - opposed to ride or fly.
base of operations, canto, automatically, foundation, rock bottom, over, walk, root, bum, backside, creation, sum, clean, dog, fanny, pace, rump, blame, basis, back, human foot, dance, substratum, groundwork, hoof, hind end, fundament, can, piece, bunk, work, al-Qa'ida, arm, nucleotide, auxiliary, bedside, accent, pick, bedroll, initiation, derriere, rear, cull, walking, bib, find fault, animal foot, understructure, iambic, amendment, institution, arch, caster, hexameter, footing, pes, drawer, heel, runner, prat, length, cornerstone, crotch, tush, behind, pier, hoof it, floor, tot, total, stern, attention line, heroic couplet, bedpost, collar, ambulate, move, ft, keister, underpinning, marching, breast pocket, al-Qaeda, repetition, leg it, tail end, innovation, berth, origination, extremity, cm., cordless, top, castor, buttocks, pad, bore, iamb, peck, grounding, base, ass, hiking, instauration, nates, al-Qaida, confines, bevel, bedstead, kicker, bag, care label, clockwork, posterior, break up, interval, shelf, root word, rear end, clever, ball, arse, beak, home, introduction, appendage, alkali, dactyl, foundation garment, bump, clubfoot, centimetre, substructure, broken, coattails, totalize, infrastructure, ankle, blank, metrical foot, ground, buttonhole, buns, annex, edge, leaf, armpit, add, paw, in., contents, big toe, corner, stand, radical, pluck, seat, stem, tread, bed, invertebrate foot, founding, bassinet, tail, automatic, brim, plunk, foot up, tooshie, couplet, theme, attachment, bodice, head, cast, calf, metrical unit, built, running, pentameter, apex, quatrain, coda, bedhead, pedestal, box, hindquarters, increase, nibble, annexe, infantry, butt, leg, analog, armhole, radix, air bed, breast.
- bottom (part of speech: noun)
- measure (part of speech: noun)
- "The Story of Jessie", Mabel Quiller-Couch.
- "Old Fritz and the New Era", Louise Muhlbach.
- "Torchy and Vee", Sewell Ford.