Definition of foot :
1. A combination of syllables consisting a metrical element of a verse, the syllables being formerly distinguished by their quantity or length, but in modern poetry by the accent.
2. Fundamental principle; basis; plan; - used only in the singular.
3. Recognized condition; rank; footing; - used only in the singular.
4. Soldiers who march and fight on foot; the infantry, usually designated as the foot, in distinction from the cavalry.
5. That which corresponds to the foot of a man or animal; as, the foot of a table; the foot of a stocking.
6. The lower edge of a sail.
7. The lowest part or base; the ground part; the bottom, as of a mountain or column; also, the last of a row or series; the end or extremity, esp. if associated with inferiority; as, the foot of a hill; the foot of the procession; the foot of a class; the foot of the bed.
8. The muscular locomotive organ of a mollusk. It is a median organ arising from the ventral region of body, often in the form of a flat disk, as in snails. See Illust. of Buccinum.
9. The size or strike with the talon.
10. The terminal part of the leg of man or an animal; esp., the part below the ankle or wrist; that part of an animal upon which it rests when standing, or moves. See Manus, and Pes.
11. To kick with the foot; to spurn.
12. To renew the foot of, as of stocking.
13. To set on foot; to establish; to land.
14. To sum up, as the numbers in a column; - sometimes with up; as, to foot ( or foot up) an account.
15. To tread to measure or music; to dance; to trip; to skip.
16. To tread; as, to foot the green.
17. To walk; - opposed to ride or fly.
basis, cornerstone, beak, auxiliary, pedestal, piece, arm, interval, nates, derriere, berth, cull, alkali, increase, origination, castor, al-Qaeda, base of operations, hoof, quatrain, footing, running, armpit, innovation, behind, hoof it, nucleotide, fanny, substructure, prat, pace, centimetre, ft, attachment, human foot, totalize, butt, creation, rock bottom, rump, bedside, breast pocket, animal foot, cm., break up, leaf, nibble, pes, backside, bump, bed, stem, ambulate, length, repetition, walk, move, tot, al-Qaida, grounding, root word, air bed, work, contents, bodice, bag, find fault, plunk, marching, fundament, amendment, bedhead, ankle, walking, coda, bum, hind end, clean, pier, leg, bassinet, blank, keister, initiation, arse, hiking, couplet, floor, clockwork, tail end, box, founding, metrical unit, dance, cordless, bedroll, pentameter, rear end, edge, ass, stern, collar, add, heroic couplet, home, calf, analog, blame, kicker, hindquarters, bedstead, confines, tail, head, apex, top, clever, foundation garment, instauration, attention line, infantry, drawer, stand, heel, substratum, annex, crotch, bib, over, rear, pad, paw, bunk, ground, leg it, bore, root, extremity, pick, introduction, theme, broken, armhole, buns, dactyl, breast, pluck, corner, built, understructure, coattails, shelf, iambic, annexe, peck, caster, metrical foot, tooshie, brim, in., iamb, accent, radical, care label, tread, institution, can, posterior, ball, runner, underpinning, sum, foot up, canto, groundwork, infrastructure, big toe, cast, hexameter, clubfoot, arch, buttonhole, seat, tush, total, al-Qa'ida, buttocks, automatic, invertebrate foot, bevel, radix, automatically, dog, appendage, bedpost, back
bottom (part of speech: noun)
measure (part of speech: noun)
decameter, yard, angstrom, criterion, rod, inch, league, ell, mile, furlong, millimeter, cubit, kilometer, decimeter, block, measure, knot, micron, mil, minute, meter, fathom, second, centimeter, hectometer, step
- " Mind the stairs," said some one behind her, and at the same moment Jessie's foot went over the top one. - "The Story of Jessie", Mabel Quiller-Couch.
- To you I owe this home, this foot of earth, which I can call my own. - "Old Fritz and the New Era", Louise Muhlbach.
- Also he's just handin' something in through a little window about a foot above his head. - "Torchy and Vee", Sewell Ford.