Definition of footing:
- A narrow cotton lace, without figures.
- Ground for the foot; place for the foot to rest on; firm foundation to stand on.
- of Foot
- Relative condition; state.
- Standing; position; established place; basis for operation; permanent settlement; foothold.
- The act of adding up a column of figures; the amount or sum total of such a column.
- The act of putting a foot to anything; also, that which is added as a foot; as, the footing of a stocking.
- The finer refuse part of whale blubber, not wholly deprived of oil.
- The thickened or sloping portion of a wall, or of an embankment at its foot.
- Tread; step; especially, measured tread.
event, land, bedrock, root, undercoat, ball game, ranking, ground, conditions, substratum, bridgehead, keystone, basis, rolling, in/into step, posture, underpinning, caste, stratum, bottom, state of affairs, base, damage, beachhead, soil, foothold, by foot, over, scene, echelon, solid ground, deal, groundwork, context, stability, reach, flat coat, foot, circumstance, level, priming coat, terra firma, steadiness, dry land, sure-footed, bed, priming, situation, tier, cornerstone, primer coat, terms, fundament, primer, story, seat, purchase, price, climate, earth, background, warp, rung, connect, lumbering, springy, environment, reason, picture, warp and woof, foundation, hold.
- "The Character and Influence of the Indian Trade in Wisconsin", Frederick Jackson Turner.
- "Orley Farm", Anthony Trollope.
- "The Heart of Una Sackville", Mrs. George de Horne Vaizey.