Definition of forest:
- A large extent or precinct of country, generally waste and woody, belonging to the sovereign, set apart for the keeping of game for his use, not inclosed, but distinguished by certain limits, and protected by certain laws, courts, and officers of its own.
- An extensive wood; a large tract of land covered with trees; in the United States, a wood of native growth, or a tract of woodland which has never been cultivated.
- Of or pertaining to a forest; sylvan.
- One who rides before; a harbinger.
- To cover with trees or wood.
rain forest, the forest primeval, tone, brake, lumber, afforest, wood, brush, wold, grove, area below timberline, copse, chase, covert, cover, chaparral, timberland, swamp, quality, second growth, shelter, spinney, virgin forest, timber, greenwood, clearing, woodwind, forestland, weald, dingle, backwoods, clump, tall timber, stand of trees, growth, dell, bosk, woodwind instrument, coppice, scrub, jungle, glade, woodland, timbre, woods, park, thicket, orchard, scrubland, boscage, brushwood.
- "The Devil's Garden", W. B. Maxwell.
- "Among the Meadow People", Clara Dillingham Pierson.
- "Mr. Isaacs", F. Marion Crawford.