Definition of formality:
- An established order; conventional rule of procedure; usual method; habitual mode.
- Compliance with formal or conventional rules; ceremony; conventionality.
- Form without substance.
- That which is formal; the formal part.
- The condition or quality of being formal, strictly ceremonious, precise, etc.
- The dress prescribed for any body of men, academical, municipal, or sacerdotal.
- The manner in which a thing is conceived or constituted by an act of human thinking; the result of such an act; as, animality and rationality are formalities.
- The quality which makes a thing what it is; essence.
deed, usual, solemnity, means, ceremony, punctiliousness, venture, ceremoniousness, technique, ceremony, gentility, rule, tactic, grace, tact, act, form, gesture, system, ceremonial, demonstration, move, gallantry, chivalry, procedure, thing, courtesy, method, mode, politeness, amenity, breeding, formalness, operation, formalities, attention, protocol, action, way, civility, activity, basis, course, pleasantry.
- conformity (part of speech: noun)
- propriety (part of speech: noun)
ostentation (part of speech: noun)
- pomp and circumstance,
- "The Fairfax County Courthouse", Ross D. Netherton Ruby Waldeck.
- "The Man Upstairs and Other Stories", P. G. Wodehouse.
- "The Last Shot", Frederick Palmer.