Definition of former:
- A cutting die.
- A shape around which an article is to be shaped, molded, woven wrapped, pasted, or otherwise constructed.
- A templet, pattern, or gauge by which an article is shaped.
- Earlier, as between two things mentioned together; first mentioned.
- Near the beginning; preceeding; as, the former part of a discourse or argument.
- One who forms; a maker; a creator.
- Preceding in order of time; antecedent; previous; prior; earlier; hence, ancient; long past.
precedent, past, condition, source, foregoing, causality, whilom, fountain, above-mentioned, ex, earlier, reason, actor, sometime, retired, motive, erstwhile, cause, causation, long ago, designer, once, author, study at previous, previous, recent, power, anterior, creator, early, other, above, antecedent, spring, olden, quondam, occasion, preceding, late, precede, origin, time, originator, agent, onetime, foregoing, preceding.
- "Under a Charm, Vol. III. (of III) A Novel", E. Werner.
- "The Wings of the Dove, Volume 1 of 2", Henry James.
- "The Life and Times of Ulric Zwingli", Johann Hottinger.