Definition of fortitude:
- Power to resist attack; strength; firmness.
- That strength or firmness of mind which enables a person to encounter danger with coolness and courage, or to bear pain or adversity without murmuring, depression, or despondency; passive courage; resolute endurance; firmness in confronting or bearing up against danger or enduring trouble.
daring, intrepidness, gallantry, constancy, strength, gut, intestinal fortitude, doughtiness, bravado, gameness, spirit, nobility, stoutheartedness, pluckiness, fiber, gutsiness, heroics, heart, endurance, valiantness, valiancy, spunkiness, valor, fear, guts, grittiness, stoicism, undauntedness.
- courage (part of speech: noun)
resolution (part of speech: noun)
- "The Shame of Motley", Raphael Sabatini.
- "I Saw Three Ships and Other Winter Tales", Arthur Thomas Quiller-Couch.
- "The-Darrow-Enigma", Severy, Melvin Linwood.