Definition of fossil:
- A person whose views and opinions are extremely antiquated; one whose sympathies are with a former time rather than with the present.
- A substance dug from the earth.
- Dug out of the earth; as, fossil coal; fossil salt.
- Like or pertaining to fossils; contained in rocks, whether petrified or not; as, fossil plants, shells.
- The remains of an animal or plant found in stratified rocks. Most fossils belong to extinct species, but many of the later ones belong to species still living.
caveman, anorak, fogey, mossback, ammonite, fossilized, fud, conservative, dodo, stick-in-the-mud, antediluvian, fossilize, reactionary, stuffed shirt, new, drongo, Cro-Magnon man, square, the Dreamtime, dinosaur, era, drip, the Cretaceous, Colonel Blimp, Carboniferous, fogy, dweeb, fart, diehard, bore, fuddy-duddy.
- "Thoracic and Coracoid Arteries In Two Families of Birds, Columbidae and Hirundinidae", Marion Anne Jenkinson.
- "Butterflies Worth Knowing", Clarence M. Weed.
- "Grimm Tales Made Gay", Guy Wetmore Carryl.