Definition of foundation:
- A donation or legacy appropriated to support a charitable institution, and constituting a permanent fund; endowment.
- That upon which anything is founded; that on which anything stands, and by which it is supported; the lowest and supporting layer of a superstructure; groundwork; basis.
- That which is founded, or established by endowment; an endowed institution or charity.
- The act of founding, fixing, establishing, or beginning to erect.
- The lowest and supporting part or member of a wall, including the base course ( see Base course ( a), under Base, n.) and footing courses; in a frame house, the whole substructure of masonry.
rear, arse, fundament, universe, rear end, roadbed, alkali, chassis, intro, stern, prat, skeleton, buttocks, induction, tooshie, company, origination, creative activity, shaft, tail, substructure, bag, radix, bolster, cornerstone, infantry, organization, radical, nucleotide, rest, metrical unit, corporation, pes, shore, grounding, world, trigger, infrastructure, start-up, keister, can, pillar, warrant, root word, stay, prop, column, buns, insane asylum, buttress, conception, hindquarters, tush, mental home, existence, stand, creation, design, al-Qa'ida, root, ft, fanny, butt, support, debut, over, charity, initiation, substratum, base, footing, knowledgeability, base of operations, society, intromission, unveiling, knowledgeableness, al-Qaeda, institution, macrocosm, pedestal, endowment, earthing, nates, bum, constitution, underpinning, posterior, installation, origin, basis, stem, inception, wall, justification, understructure, ground, founding, backside, establishing, metrical foot, first appearance, insertion, reason, instauration, animal foot, foot, tail end, introduction, mental institution, psychiatric hospital, grounds, institute, bed, guild, asylum, start, seat, behind, post, ass, framework, pier, presentation, excogitation, mental hospital, launching, invention, groundwork, theme, true, hind end, foundation garment, skid, innovation, entry, invertebrate foot, human foot, trusteeship, establishment, fundamental, rump, scaffold, rudiment, cosmos, al-Qaida, beam, home, derriere, floor, association.
- "The Project Gutenberg Memoirs of Napoleon Bonaparte", Bourrienne, Constant, and Stewarton.
- "God's Good Man", Marie Corelli.
- "Natural Law in the Spiritual World", Henry Drummond.