Definition of free:
- Certain or honorable; the opposite of base; as, free service; free socage.
- Characteristic of one acting without restraint; charming; easy.
- Clear of offense or crime; guiltless; innocent.
- Exempt from subjection to the will of others; not under restraint, control, or compulsion; able to follow one's own impulses, desires, or inclinations; determining one's own course of action; not dependent; at liberty.
- Exempt; clear; released; liberated; not encumbered or troubled with; as, free from pain; free from a burden; - followed by from, or, rarely, by of.
- Freely; willingly.
- Invested with a particular freedom or franchise; enjoying certain immunities or privileges; admitted to special rights; - followed by of.
- Liberated, by arriving at a certain age, from the control of parents, guardian, or master.
- Not arbitrary or despotic; assuring liberty; defending individual rights against encroachment by any person or class; instituted by a free people; - said of a government, institutions, etc.
- Not close or parsimonious; liberal; open- handed; lavish; as, free with his money.
- Not confined or imprisoned; released from arrest; liberated; at liberty to go.
- Not gained by importunity or purchase; gratuitous; spontaneous; as, free admission; a free gift.
- Not subjected to the laws of physical necessity; capable of voluntary activity; endowed with moral liberty; - said of the will.
- Not under an arbitrary or despotic government; subject only to fixed laws regularly and fairly administered, and defended by them from encroachments upon natural or acquired rights; enjoying political liberty.
- Not united or combined with anything else; separated; dissevered; unattached; at liberty to escape; as, free carbonic acid gas; free cells.
- Privileged or individual; the opposite of common; as, a free fishery; a free warren.
- Ready; eager; acting without spurring or whipping; spirited; as, a free horse.
- Thrown open, or made accessible, to all; to be enjoyed without limitations; unrestricted; not obstructed, engrossed, or appropriated; open; - said of a thing to be possessed or enjoyed; as, a free school.
- To frank.
- To make free; to set at liberty; to rid of that which confines, limits, embarrasses, oppresses, etc.; to release; to disengage; to clear; - followed by from, and sometimes by off; as, to free a captive or a slave; to be freed of these inconveniences.
- To release from that with which anything is engaged, engrossed, involved, or entangled; to extricate; to detach; to set free; to liberate; to clear; as, to disengage one from a party, from broils and controversies, from an oath, promise, or occupation; to disengage the affections a favorite pursuit, the mind from study.
- To remove, as something that confines or bars; to relieve from the constraint of.
- Unconstrained by timidity or distrust; unreserved; ingenuous; frank; familiar; communicative.
- Unrestrained; immoderate; lavish; licentious; - used in a bad sense.
- Without charge; as, children admitted free.
at large, off, unrestrained, uninhabited, muster out, presuming, let go of, turn, self-governed, still, innocuous, help, clean-handed, bust out, abandon, gratuitous, disengage, unbosom, openhanded, strike, freehanded, disembarrass, unembellished, impeccant, corrosive, accessible, discrete, courtesy, innocent, remedy, liberal, inoperative, what you/they will, bold, abandoned, out-of-school, secrete, inert, free people, alleviate, unselfish, he who pays the piper calls the tune, forgo, baldly, self-ruling, unconnected, dethaw, spendthrift, democratic, quit, allow, unacquainted, paid, unhampered, throw in, detached, drop by the wayside, break out, active, slaveless, freestanding, disconnected, bail out, bare, rationalise, single, necessitous, freeborn, easy come, easy go, liberate, subject, large-minded, wanton, liberated, relinquish, emancipated, confined, unloose, volitional, unsecured, light, uncommitted, directly, discharge, deserted, money, uninvolved, impoverished, destitute, relax, extra, unoccupied, unthaw, go off, untrammeled, cease, charged, familiar, derelict, drop off, unconfined, fire, unused, self-governing, contribute, bountiful, forego, palliate, freed, generous, let out, self-reliant, voluntary, fallow, costless, vociferous, give, all expenses paid, free-floating, outspoken, you can't take it with you, uncaring, degage, submit, chemical, unsupported, clear, easy, leave office, lighten, bring out, waive, escaped, fixed, apologise, release, unburdened, disentangled, give up, trim, going, hollow, imprisoned, free-spoken, let go, unimprisoned, charitable, present, withdraw, emphatic, a fool and his money (are soon parted), desolate, empty, put out, quiet, separated, freehearted, anaerobic, discharged, dislodge, superfluous, absolve, dissolve, unpaid, throw in the towel, unregulated, rid, off-duty, underemployed, spontaneous, exempt, lay off, big, free of, autonomous, dispatch, drop, rationalize, with someone's compliments, self-sufficient, dormant, surplus, be burning a hole in your pocket, unforced, dispense with, willful, on the loose, unreserved, vacant, foreswear, credit history, pointed, giving, the last of the big spenders, n/c, aerobic, unsparing, unloosen, free-soil, sluttish, allay, sleepy, warrant, put down, salvage, uncompelled, fall by the wayside, assuage, void, indigent, shrive, unblocked, let off, enfranchise, salve, undone, sovereign, have money to burn, chemical equation, bump, redundant, unstopped, alkaloid, bleak, idle, hand over, resign, unload, unrestricted, eject, overfamiliar, public, available, dependence, unaffectionate, guiltless, take over, exhaust, vocal, barren, restraint, blank, unornamented, part with, needy, plain, set down, unfixed, usable, shift, fastened, let someone go, discontinue, yield, expel, extricated, inexact, gratis, on offer, cede, reconcile, shut, willing, anaerobic, munificent, unclosed, sinless, isolated, at liberty, bail, lavish, self-supporting, hand, stop, devoid, melt, chuck up the sponge, latent, save, unaffixed, justify, unblock, subdued, informal, unobstructed, atrip, throw overboard, promiscuous, vacate, open, scot-free, concentrated, unbound, unfreeze, ingenuous, precise, candid, independent, forfeit, catalytic, distribute, breakout, handsome, dead, escapee, owned, immodest, man-to-man, released, frank, unclogged, thaw, assoil, wobbly, seasonal, emphatically, supererogatory, spare, footloose, complimentary, on the house, set-apart, supernumerary, unattached, outright, bounteous, unimpeded, alkaline, reposition, complete, fulsome, kick, issue, stark, uncrowded, broad, surrender, excess, separate, cleared, forward, step down, by choice, delivered, scanty, for nothing, renounce, flat out, drop out, unconstrained, loose, publish, poverty-stricken, bighearted, aweigh, apologize, unstinting.
- free (part of speech: verb)
- liberated (part of speech: adjective)
- generous (part of speech: adjective)
- liberate (part of speech: verb)
- slack (part of speech: adjective)
- acquit (part of speech: verb)
- dismiss (part of speech: verb)
- slacken (part of speech: verb)