Definition of front :
1. A position directly before the face of a person, or before the foremost part of a thing; as, in front of un person, of the troops, or of a house.
2. All the works along one side of the polygon inclosing the site which is fortified.
3. Of or relating to the front or forward part; having a position in front; foremost; as, a front view.
4. That which covers the foremost part of the head: a front piece of false hair worn by women.
5. The beginning.
6. The call boy whose turn it is to answer the call, which is often the word front, used as an exclamation.
7. The forehead or brow, the part of the face above the eyes; sometimes, also, the whole face.
8. The forehead, countenance, or personal presence, as expressive of character or temper, and especially, of boldness of disposition, sometimes of impudence; seeming; as, a bold front; a hardened front.
9. The middle of the upper part of the tongue, - the part of the tongue which is more or less raised toward the palate in the pronunciation of certain sounds, as the vowel i in machine, e in bed, and consonant y in you. See Guide to Pronunciation, 10.
10. The most conspicuous part.
11. The part or surface of anything which seems to look out, or to be directed forward; the fore or forward part; the foremost rank; the van; - the opposite to back or rear; as, the front of a house; the front of an army.
12. To adorn in front; to supply a front to; as, to front a house with marble; to front a head with laurel.
13. To appear before; to meet.
14. To face toward; to have the front toward; to confront; as, the house fronts the street.
15. To have or turn the face or front in any direction; as, the house fronts toward the east.
16. To oppose face to face; to oppose directly; to meet in a hostile manner.
17. To stand opposed or opposite to, or over against as, his house fronts the church.
lie, shadowy, burst/break into song, abdomen, frontward, dugout, appear, bleep out, secret, guild, battlefront, seem, face up, cloister, freestyle, preliminary, edge, consonant, veneer, look, sing out, motion, bipartisan, hand back, watch over, pretext, edit out, body, straw man, coalition, emplacement, onside, ministerial, federation, frontispiece, underground, command, background, drive, double-dealing, bm, precedent, flank, search, await, apparent movement, damp, brim, base, facing, isobar, sing, advanced, campaign, coast, backyard, coloring, bight, head-on, harmonize, context, crusade, former, run, aspirate, first, surreptitious, apex, disputed, occupy, misconduct, back, edit, baseboard, anticyclone, get, event, drift, look after, blind alley, manage, govern, bump, disguisement, summit, authority, apolitical, aspiration, independent, confront, club, earlier, wait, in the background, confines, front line, bring in, dishonesty, at someone's heels, vocalize, set, frieze, structure, secretive, serenade, get on, cold front, backhanded, present, gable, conditions, bank, forward, lead, strawman, front man, special interest, belly, rearmost, in advance, smoke and mirrors, frontmost, environment, state of affairs, foregoing, cloak, bowel movement, bearing, bottom, croon, precede, there is/are etc., dissident, false colors, go on (the) TV/radio, corner, confidential, bay, overlook, carry a tune, fore, front end, preceding, beachhead, corruption, nominal head, social movement, bureau, dado, deception, buffer zone, breach, campus, closed syllable, control, beach, window-dressing, foremost, heart, close, belong, movement, basin, scarer, close vowel, apparent motion, motility, antecedent, prior, assonance, offside, alley, cape, arcade, supervise, in front, position, institution, concentrate, bastion, bilabial, duplicity, attend, clerestory, mask, head, bevel, look out on, mysterious, girth, chest, count, gloss, alveolar, in the foreground, bund, clandestine, effort, previous, defensive, affricate, presence, past, belly button, trend, up front, the faithful, calculate, foul, comportment, liberal, rear, nationalist, figurehead, color, bird-scarer, put-on, breast, in strict confidence, leading, setup, expect, firewall, semblance, offensive, cockpit, bet, take care, move, advance, see, battlefield, chant, air pressure, bridgehead, veil, reckon, stand, depression, atmospheric pressure, opposite, frontage, cause, the Gulf Stream, introductory, headmost, coastline, depend, guest, classified, anchor, car park, alleyway, climate, foul play, circumstance, sit, mien, guile, situation, sing along, behind, catchment area, scarecrow, exist, frontal
front (part of speech: noun)
pretension (part of speech: noun)
charade, falseness, fakery, fraud, disguise, masquerade, deceit, gimmick, forgery, impersonation, pose, cover, show, mannerism, affectation, imitation, claim, stage, imposture, counterfeit, bluff, air, ostentation, pretense, guise, pretension, device, artificiality, facade
- He is trying to put on a good front. - "Dollars and Sense", Col. Wm. C. Hunter.
- I went to the front door and no one was there. - "A Practical Guide to Self-Hypnosis", Melvin Powers.
- This was the front which he set up before the eyes of the little world he knew. - "The Heart of Unaga", Ridgwell Cullum.