Definition of fruitless :
1. Lacking, or not bearing, fruit; barren; destitute of offspring; as, a fruitless tree or shrub; a fruitless marriage.
2. Productive of no advantage or good effect; vain; idle; useless; unprofitable; as, a fruitless attempt; a fruitless controversy.
swollen, conceited, trivial, nugatory, null, study at futile, visionary, unsatisfying, barren, baseless, used, delusive, inconstant, unproductive, egotistical, in vain, empty, unavailing, bootless, deceitful, unimportant, egotistic, vapid, otiose, thrive, shadowy, swollen-headed, profitless, sleeveless, self-conceited, unsubstantial, idle, unprofitable, worthless, unreal, trifling
unsuccessful (part of speech: adjective)
useless (part of speech: adjective)
- They were to sail that afternoon at four o'clock; and after a fruitless chase, went to the hotel to get dinner. - "The Narrative of a Blockade-Runner", John Wilkinson.
- Yet it would not be right for me to remain away, since by this the whole plan would be frustrated, and many excellent men of the opposition brought thither on a fruitless journey. - "The Life and Times of Ulric Zwingli", Johann Hottinger.
- But it has been a pleasanter evening in every way than those fruitless watches we kept in the street below. - "When London Burned", G. A. Henty.