Definition of gale:
- A moderate current of air; a breeze.
- A plant of the genus Myrica, growing in wet places, and strongly resembling the bayberry. The sweet gale ( Myrica Gale) is found both in Europe and in America.
- A song or story.
- A state of excitement, passion, or hilarity.
- A strong current of air; a wind between a stiff breeze and a hurricane. The most violent gales are called tempests.
- The payment of a rent or annuity.
- To sale, or sail fast.
- To sing.
- "A Poor Man's House", Stephen Sydney Reynolds.
- "Bonnie Prince Charlie A Tale of Fontenoy and Culloden", G. A. Henty.
- "Erema My Father's Sin", R. D. Blackmore.