Definition of galvanize:
- To affect with galvanism; to subject to the action of electrical currents.
- To coat, as iron, with zinc. See Galvanized iron.
- To plate, as with gold, silver, etc., by means of electricity.
- To restore to consciousness by galvanic action ( as from a state of suspended animation); hence, to stimulate or excite to a factitious animation or activity.
shock, cover, intoxicate, prod, set off, prompt, galvanise, touch off, astonish, provoke, astound, stagger, charge, inflame, titillate, flash mob, shake up, startle, plate, start, stun, jump, turn on, exhilarate, arouse, spring a surprise, pump up, egg on, inspire, trigger, surprise, prick, excite, animate, instigate, stir, amaze, pique, spur, protect, move, work up, electrify.
- "Janice Day", Helen Beecher Long.
- "Edison, His Life and Inventions", Frank Lewis Dyer and Thomas Commerford Martin.
Thus we write jalap from Jalapa, hermetical from Hermes, hymeneal from Hymen, simony, from Simon, philippic from Philip; the verbs, to hector, to romance, to japan, to christen, to philippize, to galvanize; and the adverbs hermetically and jesuitically, all without a capital: and perhaps judaize, christianize, and their derivatives, may join this class.- "The Grammar of English Grammars", Goold Brown.