Definition of gap :
1. An opening in anything made by breaking or parting; as, a gap in a fence; an opening for a passage or entrance; an opening which implies a breach or defect; a vacant space or time; a hiatus; a mountain pass.
2. The vertical distance between two superposed surfaces, esp. in a biplane.
3. To make an opening in; to breach.
4. To notch, as a sword or knife.
defile, hurly burly, porta, bed covering, gaolbreak, chap, facing pages, first step, breakage, paste, interim, gorge, elbow room, counterpane, cattle ranch, brae, cap, brink, possible action, no-show, initiative, break of serve, parenthesis, expanse, cranny, headroom, contrast, fissure, tornado, crown, opening move, cattle farm, couloir, bedcover, passageway, crag, faulting, to-do, go, commotion, shot, disturbance, spreadhead, dislocation, cooling-off period, prison-breaking, gill, ranch, linn, divide, scuttle, pause, lacuna, flume, time out, halt, feast, hiccup, violate, separation, geological fault, missing link, disagreement, recess, missing person, cracking, transgress, respite, canyon, happy chance, footprint, rupture, scatter, sally, open, flutter, divergence, air pocket, open frame, hollow, curtain raising, incongruity, whirl, spreading, fling, disruption, distance, good luck, opening night, prisonbreak, bedspread, gully, hoo-ha, falling out, vacuum, interspace, discrepancy, col, interregnum, hatchway, cairn, banquet, difference, fracture, crack cocaine, spread head, kerfuffle, jailbreak, pass, breakout, perforation, escarpment, suspension, crest, interstice, contradiction, agree, scissure, intermission, clearance, absentee, snap, the brow, severance, variety, perturbation, offer, inconsistency, chess opening, collision, infract, way, rent, diversity, interruption, interlude, continue, kloof, delay, distinction, possibility, quip, bed cover, wisecrack, a world of difference, shift, spread, void, disparity, offend, incompatibility, breaking, hoo-hah, fault, saddle, gulch, variation, lull, passage, go against, discrepance, infinity
gap (part of speech: noun)
notch (part of speech: noun)
opening (part of speech: noun)
incompleteness (part of speech: noun)
hiatus, need, deficiency, sectional, segmental, omission, fragmentation, lack, shortcoming, deficit, incompleteness, part, shortage, fraction, scantiness, shortfall, discontinuity, curtailment, insufficiency
- " We met in the Gap a week ago. - "Nan of Music Mountain", Frank H. Spearman.
- There is a sufficient gap." - "The Shame of Motley", Raphael Sabatini.
- For a moment his car opened a wide gap between it and Tom's, but the young inventor had only begun to race. - "Tom Swift and his Electric Runabout or, The Speediest Car on the Road", Victor Appleton.