Definition of garter:
- A band used to prevent a stocking from slipping down on the leg.
- Same as Bendlet.
- The distinguishing badge of the highest order of knighthood in Great Britain, called the Order of the Garter, instituted by Edward III.; also, the Order itself.
- To bind with a garter.
- To invest with the Order of the Garter.
- "Diary of Samuel Pepys, Complete Transcribed From The Shorthand Manuscript In The Pepysian Library Magdalene College Cambridge By The Rev. Mynors Bright", Samuel Pepys Commentator: Lord Braybrooke.
- "The Adventures of Fleetfoot and Her Fawns", Allen Chaffee.