Definition of gem:
- A bud.
- A precious stone of any kind, as the ruby, emerald, topaz, sapphire, beryl, spinel, etc., especially when cut and polished for ornament; a jewel.
- Anything of small size, or expressed within brief limits, which is regarded as a gem on account of its beauty or value, as a small picture, a verse of poetry, a witty or wise saying.
- To adorn with gems or precious stones.
- To embellish or adorn, as with gems; as, a foliage gemmed with dewdrops.
- To put forth in the form of buds.
crystal, work of art, rock, mensch, gemstone, saint, dear, flower, star, go-to guy, value, jewel, savior, vision, wonderland, stone, fairyland, hoarded wealth, Samaritan, endocarp, ornament, ace, Shangri La, beauty spot, pearl, beau ideal, masterpiece, nonpareil, paragon, plum, brilliant, babe magnet, precious stone, angel, muffin, catch, prize, treasure, trump, Eden, baguette, fairy godmother, bauble, pit.
- "The Voice in the Fog", Harold MacGrath.
I went over in mind all that I had ever heard of this famous gem, and wondered- indeed, to tell only the bare truth- I thrilled with the very idea: could it have had any part or place in the financier's death?- "The Paternoster Ruby", Charles Edmonds Walk.
- "Twenty-two Goblins", Unknown.